Find your career at Fazoli’s
Join America's leading Fast Casual Italian Restaurant Chain!
Based in Lexington, KY, Fazoli's Support Office is hiring a Director of Culinary Innovation
JOB SUMMARY AND SCOPE
The Director, Culinary Innovation is responsible for managing all external and internal activities involving product development and menu innovation. He/she manages the company’s test kitchen and works closely with the marketing, supply chain, quality assurance, operations, and training departments. With the ultimate goal of driving sales and increasing profitability, the director, culinary innovation will work with the chief marketing officer to develop the brand’s culinary strategy, then work on sourcing ingredients, recipe development, recipe-writing, cost engineering, and product showings. The director, culinary innovation will also be integral in the testing and implementation of the new items. In addition to new menu item development, the director, culinary innovation will work with our operations team and field-level area supervisors and managers to streamline existing culinary processes.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Product Development 50%
The director, culinary innovation will lead all steps of the product development process including:
- Inspiration – Using industry trends, trade shows, primary and secondary research, and competitive analysis to determine which “big ideas” Fazoli’s should pursue for its menu.
- Ideation – Produce menu item ideas. This ideation may be done with support of company and franchise stakeholders or supplier partners.
- Validation – Utilize survey tools, focus groups, or other data collection methods to determine if menu items produced in previous step are appropriate for Fazoli’s
- Formulation – Write recipes for the menu items including quantities and procedures used. Food cost targets and operational constraints must be considered in this step.
- Implementation – Work with the appropriate cross-functional teams for communication, testing, development of training materials, and other activities for the new menu item.
Activities involved in these steps may include: product sourcing, product showings with the executive team, writing recipes, presenting items to the Franchise Advisory Board or Board of Directors, and more.
Core Culinary Refinement 30%
Lead or provide support regarding all food-related initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Identifying potential opportunities for improving food or labor costs
- Operational simplifications for core menu items
- Utilize data (research, guest comments, etc.) to improve food quality
Test Kitchen Management 10%
The director, culinary innovation takes ownership regarding all activities involved with the company’s test kitchen, including but not limited to ordering product, cleaning & sanitation, inventory, and equipment maintenance.
Other Activities 10%
- Represent the brand on TV and other PR appearances as necessary.
- Work with the IT team to program new recipes into back office system (Crunchtime).
- May be called to act as a food stylist for video/photo/social media shoots.
- Nutritional analysis and compilation of nutritional and allergen information for menu items.
Recommended Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Experience in the development of menu items for a multi-unit restaurant brand (preferably limited service)
- Understanding of the financials of a restaurant operation including food and labor costs.
- Understanding of consumer research and trend analysis to support strategy development including both quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Experience in effectively guiding and managing external resource partners in accomplishing assigned responsibilities.
- Experience in working in a cross-functional environment where on-going communication and information sharing is vital to achieving success.
- Strong written and verbal skills and ability to interface effectively with all levels of the organization and franchise owners.
- Ability to influence decision making using consumer and business insight to drive rationale.
- Experience in planning and managing budgets.
Join Our Team or Marketing Professionals
Fazoli's Support Office is now hiring
an Off-Premise Sales & Field Marketing Manager
JOB SUMMARY AND SCOPE:
Responsible for all aspects relating to franchise grand openings & field marketing and the administration & implementation of third-party delivery programs that support Fazoli’s brand growth.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Develop & implement local marketing plans for franchise grand openings - 25%
2. Develop, maintain and execute assigned franchise marketing plans and ad fund status, including managing paid media creative development & approval with RPM - 10%
3. Responsible for franchise versions/approval/directives to printer/POP vendor, including maintenance of LRM tools - 15%
4. Works collaboratively with all support resources and vendor-partners to build, maintain and continuously improve all third-party delivery systems, processes, menus and tools – 20%
5. Leverages technology to maximize delivery/off-premise sales, including but not limited to online/mobile ordering optimization, guest database, digital/social media communications, guest satisfaction, reconciliation, etc. – 20%
6. Organizes, tracks, analyzes and reports results of all off-premise and third-party delivery projects, initiatives and related tests. Recommends go/no go decisions to senior management on items affecting brand integrity, guest service and/or requiring significant capital investment – 10%
7. Support Director, Catering & Field Marketing on field execution of projects and other duties assigned by Director.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong project management skills and ability to effectively manage numerous projects simultaneously
- Experience in effectively managing external resource partners in accomplishing assigned responsibilities
- Experience in working in a cross-functional environment where on-going communication and information sharing is vital to achieving success
- Ability to independently resolve issues and remove barriers to project completion.
- Strong written and verbal skills and ability to interface effectively with all levels of the organization including senior leadership
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Education: Four-year college degree, preferred.
Experience: Minimum 5 years experience in marketing, restaurant and/or franchise systems preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature, type and level of work being performed by the Employee(s) functioning in this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified nor should they be construed as limiting the Company’s right to modify the duties of the job.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is typically performed in an office with moderate noise. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Hazards: The hazards are only those present in normal office or restaurant setting or while traveling by car or plane.