Find your career at Fazoli’s
"Our Brand is Growing
come grow with us"
With the addition of 15-20 new franchise locations
"We are hiring a Director of Construction"
JOB SUMMARY AND SCOPE
The Director of Construction executes the organization’s maintenance, construction and development initiatives nationwide, including R&M, new units, retrofits and remodels for both traditional and nontraditional sites. He/she manages the entire construction process, including feasibility and ROI analysis, site demographics and selection, permitting, land/building acquisitions and construction. This individual is also responsible for guiding and managing the architectural preparation and presentation of the Company’s restaurants, as well as ensuring new and existing restaurants are constructed and maintained in an efficient, timely, cost-effective manner in accordance with federal, state and local building codes and ordinances. The position maintains full authority to execute approved project scopes and designs within budgetary guidelines, quality specifications and established time frames. The ultimate objective of the Construction Manager is to help expand the Fazoli’s brand through the addition of profitable new restaurant outlets.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
- 10% - Architectural Design: Responsible for implementing approved design and decor elements to both new and existing restaurant facilities. He/she solicits bids, manages contractors/consultants and associated construction timelines in order to achieve desired business objectives on time, within budget, and within specified quality standards.
- 25% - New Company Construction: Coordinates new construction with appropriate internal (departments) and external resources (contractors, government officials, consultants, etc.) to ensure Company-owned restaurants are opened on time and within budget and quality standards and specifications, as well as all federal, state and local building codes and ordinances. Ensures the Franchise Restaurant Opening Plan is achieved. Monitors progress and quality of construction by periodically visiting construction sites and personally completing all “100% Inspections” of Company restaurants prior to turning projects over to Operations.
- 25% - New Franchise Construction: Consults with franchisees relative to construction /design of franchised restaurants to ensure each restaurant is constructed in accordance with established plans and specifications. Works with appropriate internal (departments) and external resources (contractors, government officials, consultants, etc.) to help franchisees ensure restaurants are constructed and opened on time, within budget and within established quality standards and specifications. Ensures the Company’s Annual Fiscal Franchise Restaurant Opening Plan is achieved. Completes all “100% Inspections” of franchise restaurants upon notification by the franchisee.
- 10% - Repair & Maintenance: Works closely with Operations and Director of Construction to maintain best-in-class facilities and to affect restaurant-level repairs and maintenance to defined quality standards timely, efficiently and within budget.
- 10% - Budget Management: Acquires preliminary and final estimates/bids, manages change order process and oversees construction scheduling, negotiations and consultant/contractor management. Ensures General Contractors (GCs) are provided with needed project information.
- 5% - Financial: Builds and manages all design and construction-related budgets, bid negotiations, and value engineering. Sources building materials that achieve desired ROI and cash-on-cash return objectives. Ensures initial building designs maximize efficiency of restaurant operations and balances initial construction costs with long-term operating expenses. Monitors and tracks each project to established timelines and forecasted expense. Provides accurate post-project analyses reflecting overall development time, cost, and analysis of change orders – if any. Reviews designs to ensure adherence to scope, budget, signage and image requirements.
- 10% - Industry: Sources, develops and maintains vendor-partner relations with outside service providers, including architects, designers, general contractors and engineers as required. Maintains current knowledge of building materials, construction and design methodologies and related construction specifications, applying appropriate resources to minimize construction-related expenses.
- 5% - Miscellaneous: Provides periodic reports to senior management on the status of all construction-related projects. Participates in various departmental, cross-functional, and organizational projects. Performs other duties as assigned.
RECOMMENDED MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Possesses thorough SME knowledge of construction and design-related materials, methods, service providers, contract negotiations, permitting, building codes, etc. Proven ability to manage multiple-staged, complex projects and align resources accordingly.
- Is self-directed, takes initiative and works well independently with minimal supervision. Proven ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects while remaining flexible to changing business conditions. Forges high performing working relationships with other disciplines (Operations, Marketing, Supply Chain, Finance, etc.)
- Ability to identify and define business issues and opportunities, collect data, establish facts, analyze and interpret data, draw valid conclusions and recommend practical, cost-effective solutions.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of the organization and with external resources engaged in the construction process (contractors, subcontractors, planning boards, city councils, etc.). Ability to lead productive, multi-discipline team meetings.
- Possesses strong cognitive reasoning skills, sound judgment and strong decision-making skills; can quickly and easily translate abstract ideas into practical business applications.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and MS Project (or similar project management software).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature, type and level of work being performed by the employee(s) functioning in this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified nor should they be construed as limiting the company’s right to modify the duties of the job.
- A minimum of 10 years of construction management experience ranging from “hands-on” construction to management of construction resources and personnel within a multi-state, multi-unit restaurant, retail or hospitality environment. Previous restaurant construction experience is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Architectural Design or comparable general business and/or construction-related degree.
- A valid architectural license is preferred but not required.
- Professional Project Management (PMP) certification is preferred but not required.
- Previous experience to include construction and architectural work in both Company-owned and franchise restaurant/retail/hospitality systems.
- Must have experience working with large and complicated budgeting and project management processes, including experience with relevant software packages.
- Willing to travel up to 50% of the time, including extended overnight travel.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is typically performed in an office, restaurant setting or construction site with moderate noise. The incumbent will also visit in-progress construction sites and be required to wear appropriate safety gear to avoid injury. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Hazards: The hazards are those present in a normal office, restaurant setting, or while traveling by car or plane, and while visiting in-progress construction sites.